How to prepare for a pacemaker placement?
Created by: Team Rx.Health
Modified on: Fri, 8 Oct, 2021 at 8:21 AM
- Follow the instructions of your healthcare team to prepare for this procedure.
- You may be instructed to sign a consent form that permits your doctor to do the procedure.
- Stop eating or drinking after midnight before your procedure.
- Inform your healthcare provider of all the medicines, vitamins, supplements that you are taking and if you are allergic to iodine, latex, tape, or anesthetic agents.
- Your healthcare provider may ask you to stop certain medications a few days before the procedure.
- If you have heart valve disease, inform your doctor, as you may need to take an antibiotic prior to the procedure.
- Your healthcare provider might perform a variety of diagnostic tests like ECG, echocardiography, Holter monitor and more.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant.
- Bring a picture ID card.
- Bring someone to drive you back home as you might be under the effect of anesthesia and pain medicine.
- Be prepared to stay overnight if it is required.
- Leave your valuables like jewelry at home.
- Take a bath or shower before you come for the procedure. Do not apply lotions, perfumes, deodorants or nail polish after a shower.
- Do not shave the surgical site yourself.
Credits- Valley Health System
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.