How do I prepare for an ICD?
Created by: Team Rx.Health
Modified on: Wed, 19 Feb, 2020 at 3:59 AM
- Follow the instructions of your healthcare team to prepare for this procedure.
- Stop eating or drinking before midnight of your procedure.
- Inform your healthcare provider of all the medicines, vitamins, supplements that you are taking.
- Your healthcare provider may ask you to stop certain medications a few days before the procedure.
- Your healthcare provider might perform a variety of diagnostic tests like ECG, echocardiography, Holter monitor and more.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant.
- Do not eat solid foods 8 hours before the procedure. If your procedure is scheduled for the afternoon, you may eat a light breakfast consistent with a clear liquid diet including apple or white grape juice, clear broth, coffee or tea (Without milk or cream), and water.
- Bring a picture ID card.
- Bring someone to drive you back home as you might be under the effect of anesthesia and pain medicine.
- Be prepared to stay overnight if it is required.
- Leave your valuables like jewelry at home.
- Take a bath or shower before you come for the procedure. Do not apply lotions, perfumes, deodorants or nail polish after a shower.
- Do not shave the surgical site yourself.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.