- Atrial fibrillation affects your heart's ability to pump the blood normally. This causes blood to pool in an area of the heart called LAA ( Left atrial appendage) and there it forms a clot.
- The blood clot can travel from LAA to other parts of the body cutting the blood supply to the brain and it results in a stroke.
- In people with atrial fibrillation not caused by heart valve problems, more than 90% of the strokes are caused by the clots that come from LAA.
- Watchman device works through the principle of occlusion.
- The Watchman device fits right into the LAA and permanently closes it off and prevents those blood clots from escaping.
- Over time heart tissue forms over and around device permanently sealing off the opening thus preventing any blood clots to enter into it.
Watch this video to learn how watchman works