- In people with atrial fibrillation not caused by a heart valve problem (also known as non-valvular AFib), WATCHMAN offers an alternative to the lifelong use of warfarin.
- The Watchman is a device that is approximately the size of a quarter that is shaped like an umbrella or parachute.
- It is made of a surgical fabric with small metal barbs that hold it in place against the walls of the heart and the Left atrial appendage or LAA.
- Once a watchman device is implanted, it remains permanently in the heart.
- A permanent cardiac implant reduces the chance of stroke, without the risk of bleeding that may occur with the long term use of warfarin (the most common blood thinner).
Watch this video to learn more about watchman procedure