- 1) PEG-ELS: Two kits from the pharmacy
- 2) Simethicone liquid: One small container of over-the-counter liquid simethicone
Important things to note:
- Do not take any anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Nuprin, Medipren or fish oil) for 5 days prior to your procedure. You may take Tylenol.
- Do not eat popcorn or chia seeds 5 days prior to your procedure
- If you are currently taking any prescribed blood thinners:
- Plavix, Effient, Brilinta, Warfarin/Coumadin - needs to be stopped 5 days prior to your procedure.
- Pradaxa, Eliquis – needs to be stopped 2 days prior to your procedure
- Xarelto – needs to be stopped 1 day prior to your procedure
- Aspirin – 81 mg once a day does not need to be stopped, you may take as normal.
Plan on stopping them the number of days listed unless you are contacted and told otherwise. If your doctor does not grant clearance you will be contacted and advised to continue taking your medications as normal. If you have any concerns about this you may contact your prescribing physician.
How to prepare PEG-ELS (the day before colonoscopy in the morning):
- 1) Fill the two containers (one with each kit) with room temperature water.
- 2) Thoroughly mix until there is no visible powder and place containers in the refrigerator.
When take the PEG-ELS preparation (day before AND morning of colonoscopy):
- 1) At 3 pm the afternoon before colonoscopy
a) Drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes over 2 hours until one-half of the first container is finished.
- 2) At 6 pm the evening before colonoscopy
a) Drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes over 2 hours until all of the remaining fluid in the first container is drunk.
- 3) In the morning, 5 hours before the colonoscopy
a) Add 20 droppers of simethicone (fill each dropper to the top line) to the second container of PEG-ELS and mix until the solution is clear.
b) Immediately start drinking 8 ounces every 15 minutes over 2 hours until one-half of the second container is finished. Do NOT drink the last half of the second container.
Remember, for 3 hours before colonoscopy take nothing by mouth except sips of water with essential medications as needed.
Credits: Jefferson Hospitals