What you need to buy:
- 1) Gatorade: Three bottles (not purple, red, or orange), If you have Diabetics – buy sugar free Gatorade (Gatorade Zero).
- : At least 12 ounces (you will need 21 regular doses which is 357 grams)
a) Three jars OR two jars OR one jar
- 3) Bisacodyl (oral and NOT rectal version): 10 mg
- a) One 10 mg tablet OR two 5 mg tablets
- 4) Simethicone: liquid preferred, but if cannot obtain then purchase the tablet form. NOT an antacid-simethicone mixture
a) One small container of over-the-counter liquid simethicone (often found in the baby section) OR
b) Simethicone tablets (will need a total of at least 200 mg)
Important things to note:
- Do not take any anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Nuprin, Medipren or fish oil) for 5 days prior to your procedure. You may take Tylenol.
- Do not eat popcorn or chia seeds 5 days prior to your procedure
- If you are currently taking any prescribed blood thinners:
- Plavix, Effient, Brilinta, Warfarin/Coumadin - needs to be stopped 5 days prior to your procedure.
- Pradaxa, Eliquis – needs to be stopped 2 days prior to your procedure
- Xarelto – needs to be stopped 1 day prior to your procedure
- Aspirin – 81 mg once a day does not need to be stopped, you may take as normal.
Plan on stopping them the number of days listed unless you are contacted and told otherwise. If your doctor does not grant clearance you will be contacted and advised to continue taking your medications as normal. If you have any concerns about this you may contact your prescribing physician.
How to prepare the -Gatorade preparation (Day before colonoscopy, in the morning):
- 1) To each of the three bottles of Gatorade, add 7 capfuls of MiraLAX powder
a) You will use a total of 21 capfuls of MiraLAX (7 capfuls added to each Gatorade bottle)
- 2) Thoroughly mix so there is no visible powder in each MiraLAX-Gatorade bottle.
- 3) Place the three 28-32-ounce MiraLAX-Gatorade bottles in the refrigerator.
When to take the Gatorade-MiraLAX preparation (day before AND morning of colonoscopy):
- 1) The day before colonoscopy
a) Remember, ONLY clear liquids the entire day before the colonoscopy
b) At 3 PM, take 10 mg of bisacodyl
c) At 4 PM, drink one MiraLAX-Gatorade bottle over 1 hour*.
d) At 7 PM, drink one MiraLAX-Gatorade bottle over 1 hour*.
- 2) The day of colonoscopy
a) 4 hours before the colonoscopy
- Add 10 droppers (fill to top line) of simethicone to the last bottle of MiraLAX-Gatorade and mix until clear OR take a total of 200 mg to 300 mg of tablet simethicone before the last bottle of MiraLAX-Gatorade.
- Immediately start drinking the last bottle of MiraLAX-Gatorade over 1 hour*.
Remember, for 3 hours before colonoscopy take nothing by mouth except sips of water with essential medications as needed.
*Drink 8 ounces of the bowel prep every 15 minutes
Credits: Jefferson Hospitals