Please be sure to answer this call. If you miss the call, please call the PAT clinic at 812-238-7474. All of your medications will be discussed and instructions will be given by the pre-anesthesia testing nurse during this phone appointment.
Place of Service:
Please make transportation arrangements, you will not be able to drive yourself home.
Procedure Time: The PAT clinic will call you the day prior to your procedure to give your arrival time.
You will need to pick up SUTAB prescription from a Pharmacy.
- If you have received instructions regarding mail-in pharmacy, please follow them accordingly. The phone number for Gift Health Pharmacy is (833)614-4438. If you haven’t heard from them at least 2 weeks before your procedure, please call them.
- If you are picking up the prescription from your local pharmacy, please contact the pharmacy in advance to make sure the prep is in stock.
Important things to note:
- Do not take any anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Nuprin, Medipren or fish oil) for 5 days prior to your procedure. You may take Tylenol.
- Do not eat popcorn or chia seeds 5 days prior to your procedure.
- If you are currently taking any prescribed blood thinners:
Plavix, Effient, Brilinta, Warfarin/Coumadin - needs to be stopped 5 days prior to your procedure.
Pradaxa, Eliquis – needs to be stopped 2 days prior to your procedure.
Xarelto – needs to be stopped 1 day prior to your procedure.
Aspirin – 81 mg once a day does not need to be stopped, you may take as normal.
GI office will contact your prescribing physician to request clearance for you to stop these prior to the procedure. Plan on stopping them for the number of days listed unless you are contacted and told otherwise. If your doctor does not grant clearance you will be contacted and advised to continue taking your medications as normal. If you have any concerns about this you may contact your prescribing physician.
- If you are taking Tetracycline or Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, Iron, Digoxin, Chlorpromazine or Penicillamine, take these medications at least 2 hours before and not less than 6 hours after administration of each dose of SUTAB.
2 days prior to your colonoscopy:
Soft diet all day.
Coco, coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, synthetic fruit-flavored drinks (no red food coloring), cooked refined cereals (cream of wheat, oatmeal), gelatin, sherbet, ice cream, ice, pudding, custard, cream, butter, margarine in cereal or soup, pureed meats, very thin cream soup or broth, baby food, strained cream soups, broth or bouillon, vegetables pureed in milk or very thin cream soups or broth, salt, honey, sugar, plain syrups, hard candy, marshmallows, flavorings except anything with red, purple or orange food coloring, soft chocolate, plain cream candies, eggs chopped finely.
Start your colonoscopy bowel prep 1 day before procedure:
Your clear liquid diet begins when you wake up this morning, this means absolutely no solid foods. If you consume solid foods at any point during this day you will need to contact our office and your procedure may have to be rescheduled.
Things you may have:
- Any water, sodas, clear fruit juices, sports drinks, drink mixes such as crystal light, etc. Please do not drink anything red or blue.
- Coffee and tea's, you may add sugar or sweeteners but no milk or milk products and no powdered creamer products.
- Soup broths, Consomme, bullion - make sure there are no food pieces.
- You may also have popsicles and jello, make sure there is no added fruit/fruit pieces. Please nothing red or blue.
- You may have gum and dissolvable mints, do not swallow gum. No gum or mints after midnight please.
No cigarette's, chewing tobacco, or vaping of any kind the day of your prep.
Bowel prep instructions:
4pm - First Dose:
Step 1 - Open 1 bottle of 12 tablets.
Step 2 - Fill the provided container with 16 ounces of water – up to the fill line. Please take all 12 tablets, swallowing one at a time every 1-2 minutes with a sip of water after each tablet. Then drink the entire amount of water over 30 minutes.
• If you experience preparation related symptoms such as nausea, bloating or cramping, slow down the rate of drinking the additional water.
Step 3 - 1 hour after you finish 12 tablets: Fill the container again with 16 ounces of water, up to the fill line, and drink the entire amount. You have 30 minutes to drink this.
Step 4 - 30 minutes after finishing the second container of water: Fill the container again with 16 ounces of water, up to the fill line, and drink the entire amount. You have 30 minutes to drink this.
You can continue your clear liquid diet up until midnight. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight, except for the second dose of the bowel prep.
Second dose: 5 hours before procedure arrival time.
You will be given your arrival time closer to the date of the procedure. When given your arrival time you will count 5 hours before, this is when you will take the second dose but no sooner than 4 hours from starting the first dose.
Step 5 - Open the second bottle of 12 tablets.
Repeat Steps 2 through 4 above.
No more liquids once this prep is finished.
Important: You must complete all SUTAB tablets and the required water at least 2 hours before colonoscopy. Do not take anything by mouth starting 2 hours before the procedure.
Continue to drink clear liquids during the prep to aid in being completely clear.
Walking around helps the prep go down.
You may reduce rectal soreness from the prep by cleansing with baby wipes after bowel movements and then applying zinc oxide to the skin in the rectal area.
A good prep may lengthen the time needed before your next colonoscopy!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact your doctor’s office.