Alternatives For Tobacco Use
Created by: Team Rx.Health
Modified on: Tue, 23 Mar, 2021 at 5:30 AM
To assist you in quitting smoking, speak with your doctor about medications that can be prescribed. Nicotine replacement therapy (a low dose of nicotine without the contaminants present in tobacco smoke) or
Non-habit-forming drugs that do not contain nicotine.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)Here are some items to consider before beginning NRT:
- If you smoke more cigarettes, you may need to start with a higher dose. Adding a therapy service to your quit strategy will improve your chances of success.
- If you're using nicotine replacement, DO NOT SMOKE. It aids in the prevention of weight gain while on nicotine replacement therapy. When you avoid using nicotine, you can still gain weight.
- Nicotine dosage should be progressively lowered.
Click here to know more about Nicotine replacement therapy
Other medication for Smoking Cessation
Smoking cessation medicines can help:
Click here to know more on other medication which helps you to quit smoking
- Reduce the need to smoke. as well as reducing withdrawal symptoms
- Prevent you from resuming tobacco use.
These medications, like most therapies, are most effective when used as part of a holistic strategy that involves making a definite commitment to stop and setting a quit date.
Making a clear decision to quit and set a quit date.
- Making a strategy to deal with the smoking urges.
Getting help from a doctor, a therapist, or a support group.
|Five types of NRT have been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration:|
- Nasal spray
Before beginning therapy, read and follow the kit instructions carefully and consult your doctor.
|If you think you may want to use one of the medications mentioned below to help you stop smoking, talk to your doctor:|
- Varenicline (Chantix)- It lessens the pleasure a person gets from smoking and reduces the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
- Bupropion (Zyban)- works best if it’s started 1 or 2 weeks before you quit smoking.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.