Golytely (Extended Preparation)
It is very important that you follow each step and complete all of these instructions or your colonoscopy may have to be repeated
PURCHASE IN ADVANCE
- Two Golytely Bowel Prep Kits – Prescription required
SEVEN DAYS BEFORE PROCEDURE
- Stop all fiber supplements and medications containing iron, including multivitamins
- You may have to stop certain medications. Talk with your prescribing physician and let them know you are getting a colonoscopy.
DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- A clear liquid diet may include:
Soup: Clear broths such as chicken, vegetable, beef consommé. These broths should not have noodles or solid food in them
Juice: Apple, limeade, white cranberry, white grape
Beverages: Tea (please do not add milk), coffee (please do not add milk), soda, Gatorade (or other sports drinks), water, Vitamin water (or other similar drinks)
Desserts: Jello (no red or purple), Italian ices, popsicles, hard candies
- Mix the first gallon of Golytely solution anytime on the day before your procedure. Some preps come with flavor packets. If adding flavor, tear open flavor packet and mix with solution. This solution can be refrigerated.
- At 2PM, drink one 8oz. glass every 15 minutes until you have consumed half the solution. Place the remainder of the solution in the refrigerator.
- At 7PM, drink the remainder of the Golytely solution by drinking one 8oz. glass every 15 minutes until the solution is gone. Continue the clear liquid diet.
- Expect to move your bowels at least 5-10 times, although some people do not have multiple bowel movements after this initial dose of preparation. It usually takes about 30-60 minutes after drinking the solution to begin having bowel movements. You may notice some bloating or cramping at the beginning of the prep, but this will usually improve once the bowel movements begin.
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Mix the second gallon of Golytely solution. Some preps come with flavor packets. If adding flavor, tear open flavor packet and mix with solution. This solution can be refrigerated.
- 8 hours before the test is scheduled, drink ½ of the second gallon of the Golytely solution by drinking one 8oz. glass every 15 minutes until the solution is gone.
- Bowel movements should resume within 30 minutes to one hour. Expect to move your bowels at least 10-15 times.
- By the end of your prep, your stool should become a clear, yellow-tinged fluid.
- 5 hours before the procedure, if the stool coming out is not a clear, yellow-tinged fluid, please drink the other ½ of the second gallon of the Golytely solution.
- You may continue to drink additional clear fluids until 3 hours before the test is scheduled, but then nothing by mouth after that.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY PREP IS ADEQUATE?
The stool should be watery in consistency and should be a clear, yellow-tinged fluid without stool particles. Digestive secretions will continue to “tint” the stool yellow. If you are concerned that there are still stool particles present, you can self-administer one or two saline enema laxatives (these are available in pharmacies without prescription as 4.5 fluid ounce enemas) prior to leaving home for the procedure. If your prep is inadequate, the physician may not be able to visualize the entire colon adequately.