It is very important that you follow each step and complete all of these instructions or your colonoscopy may have to be repeated
PURCHASE IN ADVANCE
- One 238 gm bottle of Miralax (or Glycolax)-no prescription needed
- One 64 ounce bottle (or two 32 ounce bottles) of a sports drink (examples include Powerade, Gatorade, sugar-free Powerade, sugar-free Gatorade, Crystal Light, iced tea)-Recommended flavor lemon-lime
- Please do not purchase red or purple sports drinks
SEVEN DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Stop all fiber supplements and medications containing iron, including multivitamins
- You may have to stop certain medications. Talk with your prescribing physician and let them know you are getting a colonoscopy.
DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- A clear liquid diet may include:
Soup: Clear broths such as chicken, vegetables, beef consommé. These broths should not have noodles or solid food in them
Juice: Apple, limeade, white cranberry, white grape
Beverages: Tea (please do not add milk), coffee (please do not add milk), soda, Gatorade (or other sports drinks), water, vitamin water(or other similar drinks)
Desserts: Jello (no red or purple), Italian ices, popsicles, hard candies
- Mix the entire 238-gram bottle of Miralax with 64 ounces of Gatorade, Powerade, or Crystal Light in a large pitcher. You may use any other clear liquid you choose as well. Stir. We recommend chilling the mixture. You may add ice.
- At approximately 5 PM, start drinking your chilled Miralax mixture. Plan to consume ½ of the mixture. The start time for this may be varied according to your personal circumstances.
- You should pace yourself to drink an eight-ounce glass of the mixture every 10-15 minutes until you have finished ½ of the mixture.
- Expect to move your bowels at least 5-10 times, although some people do not have multiple bowel movements after this initial dose of the preparation. It usually takes about 30-60 minutes after drinking the Miralax solution to begin having bowel movements.
- You may notice some bloating or cramping at the beginning of the preparation, but this will usually improve once the bowel movements begin.
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- 6 hours before the test is scheduled, finish drinking the rest of the Miralax mixture over a period of ½-1 hour.
- Bowel movements should resume within 30 minutes to one hour. Expect to move your bowels at least 10-15 times.
- By the end of your preparation, your stool should become a clear, yellow-tinged fluid. If the stool coming out is not clear, please drink an additional 1-liter of water or another clear fluid approximately 3 ½ hours prior to your procedure time.
- You may continue to drink clear fluids until 3 hours before the test is scheduled, but then nothing by mouth after that.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY PREP IS ADEQUATE?
The stool should be watery in consistency and should be a clear, yellow-tinged fluid without stool particles. Digestive secretions will continue to “tint” the stool yellow. If you are concerned that there are still stool particles present, you can self-administer one or two saline enema laxatives (these are available in pharmacies without prescription as 4.5 fluid ounce enemas) prior to leaving home for the procedure. If your prep is inadequate, the physician may not be able to visualize the entire colon adequately.
- Make sure you know where your procedure will be performed.
- Please arrive 1 hour in advance of your scheduled procedure time to allow time to complete the necessary paperwork.
- Please bring a photo ID.
- Please bring a current insurance card, if applicable.
- If for any reason you need to cancel your procedure, please call your doctor at the number provided to you. You must call at least 48 hours in advance to allow other patients to be scheduled for procedures.