Coronaviruses (CoV) belong to a large family of coronaviridae that causes disease ranging from the common cold to more serious illnesses.
- Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV) include the major illnesses caused by Coronavirus.
- Transmission of Coronaviruses takes place from animals to humans-zoonotic in nature, also from humans to humans.
- A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain not previously discovered in humans.
Spread of Coronavirus:
- The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person- community spread.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)
- Respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.