Please watch this video to learn how to prepare for the procedure
- Before the procedure, you will be given a special drink with medicine that helps to flush out all the stool (poop).
- You will also need to drink lots of clear fluids like
- Stop giving iron supplements to your child five days before your procedure.
- If your child cannot take the bowel washout through the mouth then they have to stay in the hospital one night before the procedure and the bowel wash can be given by a nasogastric tube and the bowel washout is given through this tube for over four to six hours.
- Breast milk can be given up to 4 hours prior to the time of the procedure.
- It is important that during this time you do not eat any food. By getting all the poop out, it allows your doctor to see what’s happening inside. On the morning of the procedure, you are not supposed to eat or drink anything as this can cause problems with the medicines used to help you sleep during the test.
- You should carry any medication that your child takes.