It is very important that you follow each step and complete all of these instructions or your colonoscopy may have to be repeated.
Watch this video for helpful instructions, tips, and suggestions to take the Moviprep preparation for your colonoscopy:
PURCHASE IN ADVANCE
- One Moviprep Bowel Prep Kit---Prescription required
SEVEN DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Stop all fiber supplements( Benefiber) and medications containing iron, including multivitamins
DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- You may have a low fiber breakfast (examples include white bread with butter, white rice, eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, and NO vegetables or fruits).
- After the low fiber breakfast, please have a clear liquid diet for the rest of the day. Please avoid all liquids that are red or purple in color. Please avoid all dairy products.
- A clear liquid diet may include:
Soup: Clear broths such as chicken, vegetable, beef consommé. These broths should not have noodles or solid food in them.
Juice: Apple, limeade, white cranberry, white grape
Beverages: Tea (please do not add milk), coffee (please do not add milk), soda, Gatorade (or other sports drinks, avoid drinks that are red or purple in color), water, vitamin water(or other similar drinks)
Desserts: Jello (no red or purple), Italian ices, popsicles, hard candies
- Each Moviprep kit contains 4 pouches (two pouches labeled A and two pouches labeled B) and a disposable container with four marks.
- Dose 1: Empty the contents of one pouch A and one pouch B into the provided container of the Moviprep kit. Add lukewarm water to the top line and dissolve. The solution must be used within 24 hours of mixing. This solution may be refrigerated.
- At 6 PM, drink the solution down to the next mark on the provided container (about 8 oz. or a glass) every 15 minutes until the whole container is consumed. Drink an additional 16 oz. of any clear liquid (water, vitamin water).
- Expect to move your bowels at least 5-10 times, although some people do not have multiple bowel movements after this initial dose of preparation. It usually takes about 30-60 minutes after drinking the solution to begin having bowel movements. You may notice some bloating or cramping in the stomach at the beginning of the preparation, but this will usually improve once the bowel movements begin.
- The time of this dose may be adjusted to suit individual schedules.
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Dose 2: Empty the contents of one pouch A and one pouch B into the provided container of the Moviprep kit. Add lukewarm water to the top line and dissolve. The solution must be used within 24 hours of mixing. This solution may be refrigerated.
- 6 hours prior to the procedure time, drink the solution down to the next mark on the provided container (about 8 oz) every 15 minutes.
- Drink an additional 16 oz. (2 glasses) of any clear liquid.
- Bowel movements should resume within 30 minutes to one hour. Expect to move your bowels at least 10-15 times.
- By the end of your prep, your stool should become a clear, yellow-tinged fluid. If the stool coming out is not a clear, yellow-tinged fluid, please drink an additional 1-liter of water or another clear fluid approximately 3 ½ hours prior to your procedure time.
- You may continue to drink clear fluids until 3 hours before the test is scheduled, but then after no clear liquid and nothing by mouth.