A thorough colon cleansing before the procedure is key to colonoscopy success. It is very important that you follow each and every step and complete all the below instructions or your colonoscopy may have to be rescheduled or delayed.
1. Purchase in Advance
- One 238 gram bottle of Miralax (or Glycolax)-no prescription needed
- One 64 ounce bottle (or two 32 ounce bottles) of a sports drink (examples include Powerade, Gatorade, sugar-free Powerade, sugar-free Gatorade, Crystal Light, iced tea)-Recommended flavor lemon-lime
- Please do not purchase red or purple sports drinks
2. Seven Days Before the Colonoscopy Procedure
- Stop all fiber supplements( Benefiber) and medications containing iron, including multivitamins
3. Day Before the Colonoscopy Procedure
- Diet Modifications
a) You may have a low fiber breakfast (examples include white bread with butter, white rice, eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, and NO vegetables or fruit).
b) After the low fiber breakfast, please have a clear liquid diet for the rest of the day. Please avoid all liquids that are red or purple in color. Please avoid all dairy products. A clear liquid diet may include:
- Soup: Clear broths such as chicken, vegetable, beef consommé. These broths should not have noodles or solid food in them.
- Juice: Apple, limeade, white cranberry, white grape
- Beverages: Tea (please do not add milk), coffee (please do not add milk), soda, Gatorade (or other sports drinks, avoid drinks that are red or purple in color), water, vitamin water(or other similar drinks)
- Desserts: Jello (no red or purple), Italian ices, popsicles, hard candies
b) Prep Instructions
a) Mix the entire 238-gram bottle of Miralax with 64 ounces of Gatorade, Powerade, or Crystal Light in a large pitcher (2-liter bottle). You may use any other clear liquid you choose as well. Stir. We recommend chilling the mixture. You may add ice.
b) At approximately 6 PM of the day before your procedure, start drinking your chilled Miralax mixture. Plan to consume or drink ½ of the mixture. The start time for this may be varied according to your personal circumstances.
c) You should pace yourself to drink an eight-ounce glass of the mixture every 10-15 minutes until you have finished ½ of the mixture.
d) Expect to move your bowels at least 5-10 times, although some people do not have multiple bowel movements after this initial dose of the preparation. It usually takes about 30-60 minutes after drinking the Miralax solution to begin having bowel movements.
e) You may notice some bloating or cramping in your stomach at the beginning of the preparation, but this will usually improve once the bowel movements begin.
4- On the Day of Colonoscopy Procedure
- 6 hours before the test is scheduled, finish drinking the rest of the Miralax mixture over a time period of 1-½ hour.
- You should start having bowel movements within 30 minutes to one hour. Expect to move your bowels at least 10-15 times.
- By the end of your preparation, your stool should become a clear, yellow-tinged fluid. If the stool coming out is not clear, please drink an additional 1-liter of water or another clear fluid at least 3 ½ hours before your procedure time.
- You may continue to drink clear fluids until 3 hours before the test is scheduled, but then nothing by mouth after that.
Please watch the below video on MiraLAX - Gatorade Preparation to understand more- (3.36 sec)
Q- How do I know if my Bowel Preparation is good enough?
The stool should be watery and clear, yellow-tinged fluid without any stool particles. Digestive or stomach secretions will continue to “tint” the stool yellow. If you are concerned that there are still stool particles present, you can give your self one or two saline enema laxatives (these are available in pharmacies without prescription as 4.5 fluid ounce enemas) prior to leaving home for the procedure. If your prep is not enough, the physician may not be able to see the entire colon adequately.
- Make sure you know the address to the facility where your procedure is done.
- Please arrive 1 hour before the time of your scheduled procedure to allow time to complete the necessary paperwork.
- Please bring a photo ID.
- Please bring a current insurance card, if applicable.
- If for any reason you need to cancel your procedure, please call your doctor at the number provided to you. You must call at least 48 hours in advance to allow other patients to be scheduled for procedures.
It is important to follow all the instructions. If you do not, your procedure will be delayed or scheduled for another time.